Sunday, September 14, 2014

Grandpa

Tim Lewis Photography Copyright all Rights Reserved 2014 Tim Lewis Photography


This is a picture I took of my grandfather last week. I had a very clear idea of what I wanted to make before I went to take the picture. He’s always been a very central figure in my family, and I wanted to convey strength and resolve with this image. So I waited until the sun was setting, then I had him look toward the sunset, knowing this would make him squint (and look more determined). Then I dropped down for a low point of view (making him seem larger than life and imposing), and shot two frames with the sky and clouds as the background.


I wanted to use the same ideas going through the post processing, so I chose a square format which often creates a very locked-in feel. Then I cropped to include just his head and shoulders, which created a triangle effect:


Triangle Triangle


This is a really old painting technique. Kings were often posed into triangle compositions, since a triangle is a very stable visual element. Using it in this way emphasizes that he’s stable, indomitable, and immovable — All of which were related to the idea of strength I wanted to get across with my picture.


This picture means a lot to me, I’m glad I got a chance to make it.



Grandpa

No comments:

Post a Comment