Tuesday, September 29, 2009

day 65 - glowing wall



for this shot i wanted to use an entire wall as my light source. the only wall in the living room that is mostly empty is the one behind the couch that usually serves as my background. so i set up two sb-28s to bounce off of it, and a green sheet hung from the ceiling to serve as my background.

sb-28s aren't the most powerful flashes out there. even using two at full power, i wasn't getting a lot of light on myself, so i set up a reflector to (hopefully) throw a few more photons my way. it worked somewhat, there's still not as much light as i'd like on myself.

i didn't want the background to be illuminated by the same light source as i was.... since i'm standing just a few inches in front of it, i knew i couldn't make it go out of focus like i usually try to, so i put a flash behind it, to hopefully illuminate it a bit that way. it did wind up giving the sheet an interesting texture, but didn't really illuminate it very much.

i desaturated the green of the sheet a bit in lightroom, a slight vignette, and that's it. not the greatest, but good to know that if i'm going to use a wall as my primary light source, i'm going to need more power (or stand a lot closer to it).

setup shot:

No comments:

Post a Comment