Tuesday, November 3, 2009

day 171 - heavy light



i wanted to go for another crank everything up to eleven and let the light falloff get really steep shot, so i did. this time i set up my big softbox camera right with an sb-28 at full power, and adjusted my camera's aperture to make everything okay. one lone sb-28 rear camera left at 1/2 power for rim, and i propped up my 32" trigrip low camera left for a bit of bounce and smoothing on the right side of my face.

it's cool how dark the room behind me got, and how quickly my arm gets absorbed into the darkness. it's interesting to me how many different settings you can come up with that will all result in "proper exposure".... big aperture dim flash fast shutter, small aperture bright flash fast shutter, big aperture dim flash long shutter...... each one will give you a very different result, it's interesting exploring each possibility to see which one has qualities you like or don't like.

camera settings for this result:
Model: NIKON D60
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/200 sec
Aperture: 16.0
Focal Length: 18mm

i didn't take a setup shot, so i dummied this up really quick to show how things work:

No comments:

Post a Comment