Sunday, August 30, 2009

day 11 - beauty light


work one big soft light source above, one small light source below. maybe gel one or the other for some color contrast in there.

this is a slight variation on a beauty light.... that's about as beautiful as i get right there. for this shot i set up an umbrella high camera left with a cto gel on it at 1/4 power. then, another sb-28 at 1/16th power through a lumiquest sb3 low camera right, aimed up at me. the raw daylight balanced lumiquest light comes thorugh with a blue tint to it after the white balance is adjusted for the cto gel on my main. that, combined with the uplighting effect from it's position created this really soft, almost hollywood look.

the light on the wall behind me isn't a bad photoshop dodge and burn, it's actually the result of my shadow from the lumiquest darkening the wall on the left side of the picture. i put a vignette on there in lightroom, and that's it.

one unexpected thing is that my eyes have different specular highlights, my right one has the 42" umbrella, and my left has the sb-3. it looks a bit odd, i'm not gonna lie. 

strobist info:
nikon d-60, iso 100 1/25th second @ f3.5
sb-28 high camera left through a 42" umbrella at 1/4 power, cto gel
sb-28 low camera right through a lumiquest sb3 at 1/16 power

No comments:

Post a Comment