Wednesday, April 30, 2014

On a Roll

Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 3.51.30 AM from “Steal like an Artist” by Austin Kleon


I’m not sure why, but it seems like I’ve been in a bit of a creative whirlwind here lately. Ideas have been coming quick and easily, and I’ve been slow to reject or judge them. That seems to be a big part of it, my not instantly rejecting ideas as I come up with them. Taking the time to explore them a bit and see where they go has been very rewarding, and knowing that even if they wind up not being very good or interesting there’ll be more coming down the road shortly has seemingly liberated me in some way.


This blog might have something to do with it. I get on here and share my process, share some of the stuff I’ve been thinking, or stuff I’ve been influenced by. I think that’s greasing up the idea machine in some way. It’s like my whole life I’ve been standing in my own way, preventing myself from trying because I’d rather sit back and judge myself and others.


Another part of it might be that I keep giving away ideas, so I have to come up with new ones. I keep explaining my most prized techniques, so now I need to figure out new ways of doing things. It’s kind of obvious, in hindsight. It’s such a trap to have secret prized techniques that you file away and protect and never say a word about to anyone. By starting over you’re able to go in new directions, instead of just traveling down the road you’ve always been down. I’m just annoyed that it’s taken me this long to figure this stuff out.



On a Roll

No comments:

Post a Comment