Monday, April 28, 2014

The only constant is change

Wow. This article is pretty amazing. It’s like a drop kick to the head of the idea that “good enough” is the goal. Seems like twenty years ago making a correctly exposed image was the the goal, now any cameraphone can do that for you. Nowadays you have to ask yourself, what do I have as a photographer that is unique? What can I do that no one else can do? Everyone has a good camera these days. Everyone can take a properly exposed, in focus shot. What makes my work different? What can I do that can’t be done with stock photography and a copy of Photoshop?


So many of the questions asked by Dane Sanders are questions I’ve been asking myself lately. What can I do differently that will make my work look different from someone who just bought a camera at best buy earlier today? Some of my answers:



  • I can get better at Photoshop, and use it to make my images look different instead of perfect.

  • I can get better at public speaking, and use those skills to sell myself and my vision to others.

  • I can start with why, and use concepts and stated goals to guide my choices instead of doing the same thing I’ve always  done.

  • I can draw inspiration from artists in other fields, instead of just watching and copying the hot photographers of the moment.

  • I can try and stay a student, stay learning and focus on my own growth instead of comparing myself to others.

  • I can ask what can photography be, instead of what has it been? Can it be illustration? Can it be more visceral, more subjective, more point of view? Where can it go, and how can I push it there?


I don’t have it all figured out yet. But there’s a lot to think about here, and Dane points out a lot of trends that are only going to become more insistent as time goes on. It’s an exciting time to be a photographer. There’s a lot of change in the air, and I’m excited to see what we create from the bones of “traditional photography”.


 



The only constant is change

No comments:

Post a Comment