Monday, September 21, 2009

day 45 - tv paranoia



i was thinking that i should do more concept - oriented stuff with my photography. try and get myself to think about the mood-creating effect of this type of light, or of that type of photo.

so with that in mind, i thought i'd come up with a concept and try and execute it using photography. the first concept i came up with was "tv paranoia". so that's what i tried to execute. unfortunately, i'm a terrible actor. this picture could be used as a cable tv ad, or a stock image about the switch to digital tv broadcasting.

so yeah. not enough paranoia. but the image itself came out well. i hid a strobe on the other side of the tv, with a cto (correct to orange) gel on it, as a sort of separation / rimlight on myself. i set up a silver reflective umbrella behind me, with a strobe at 1/16th power and a ctb (correct to blue) gel on it. i had to put up my reflector between the silver umbrella and the wall beyond me in order to keep light from spilling onto it.

one other problem was that the tv wanted to reflect the blue flash as a highlight. so i had to move my flash further to the side than i wanted, just to get rid of the highlight. and it turns out on this shot, my most expressive and terrific acting job ever, the camera focused on the tv set, instead of on me.

speaking of the camera, i had it set for a 1/8th of a second exposure. that's just to burn the tv in, and prevent those tv lines from showing up. so on top of acting i also had to hold very still for 1/8th of a second. it's tough, let me tell you.

setup shot:


concept sketch:
 

oh the atlas idea is coming, just you wait.....

No comments:

Post a Comment