Saturday, September 26, 2009

day 56 - tight light



today i replaced the bolt i was using the attach my beauty dish to my light stand. before i was just slapping a nut on the end of the "brass monkey" and hoping it didn't fall off (not a lot of extra thread to get my nut onto....) but today i went and replaced that situation with one that is much better.

so, now that i've done that (finally) i can turn my beauty dish sideways without worrying that gravity would kick the monkey's ass.

so i did a setup to take advantage of my new horizontal dish ability. i figured i'd set up the dish so that it's making these deep dark shadows under my hat and eyesockets and nose and chin, then set up a lumiquest sb-3 on the floor at my feet to throw some light up into those caverns. and while i'm at it, why not a color contrast too?

so there's a cut and a half of cto gel on the beauty dish, nothing on the sb-3 flash. then when i balance for all that orange, the daylight balanced uplight goes a bit blueish. looks good.

one thing i don't like about this picture is the top of my hat going so bright.... if i wanted to make it right, i would create a virtual copy of the image in lightroom, adjust the exposure / brightness so that the hat looks perfect (and everything else is too dark) then stack and mask in photoshop, so i get a final picture with perfectly lit face and perfectly lit hat.

but i'm not doing crazy photoshop manipulations here. i'm trying to get better at lighting, not better at photoshop.

setup shot:

No comments:

Post a Comment