Thursday, September 24, 2009

day 52 - beauty dish portrait



nothing crazy here today. just a typical shot. i just felt like using my beauty dish, so i set it up, put a white reflector opposite it, and fired away. i think it came out nicely. i actually also set up a bit of rimlight with my colorsplash flash far camera left, but in this particular shot it didn't go off. but you can see it (and it's effect) in the setup shot.

it is interesting to me how much bounce my white shirt is putting up onto my neck. that was unexpected. i so rarely wear white shirts, i wasn't expecting so much light to bounce around. i should've expected it, though.

at that photography seminar i went to, ziser talked about how if you have a "first dance" wedding type situation, and you position your light/assistant at the correct angle, the white of the groom's tuxedo shirt will bounce some light up into the bride's face, and make a very sophisticated lighting pattern.

something to think about.

this shot reminds me of school picture day, but i think that's part of it's charm.

setup shot:

No comments:

Post a Comment